Today we launched our latest version of nscu.com. I have to admit that I’m very happy with the outcome. When I started work on this project earlier in the year. The goals were simple:
- Make it easier for people to complete key tasks
- Blend our personal and business offering (users were not self identifying with these self segments) and enable cross-sell to all sides of our service
- Enable us to continue to expand on the provision of a solutions-based, not product based approach to meeting member needs.
We modified the home page providing access to key tasks and introduced a compelling ‘widget’ as our primary communication area. The ease-of-use is remarkable and all available via one less click since we took out a whole level in the IA. The new section landing pages (Banking, etc.) we’re tweaked slightly as were the interior pages to provide more whitespace, better access to related links and reading. The contact us page even got a slight overhaul. Additionally, thanks to Dennis and his post about the length of your search query box — an optimized search query box.
I have a bunch more things I haven’t put live, so look for some surprises in the coming weeks.
Making our decisions based on the data (web analytics), rather than just gut is paying off. Over the past two years, incremental tweaks have reduced the reject rate on key pages substantially and overall site wide and continued refinements to the IA (information architecture) to elminate the number of clicks/steps required to complete tasks has visitors engaging with more content on the site.